Saturday, July 24, 2010

Girls Camp 2010

Trish Neville offered my name to help with the 3rd year hike this year which I was absolutely ok with. I have always loved girls camp and the last time I was able to go was in 2004. That year I went with Sara and we were just helpers to the Stake. I was so excited to go and Jesús was asked to go and cook. I wasnt able to go up until Wednesday and Trish and I were going to go together and stay one night and come home after the hike. It was great to see Jesús there helping out in the kitchen and he even carved me a walking stick for the hike and burned our initials into it. The weather was perfect and it was so much fun to hang out with everyone. We got to listen to the girls sing the camp songs and goof off around the camp fire and then sing hymns. When it got dark enough we went out to the meadow to look at the stars. I got to fulfill one of my wishes which was to play my guitar around the campfire. I didn't know a lot of songs but it was still fun. That night I got all snuggled into my sleeping bag and I was warm but I couldn't go to sleep. I started to feel pretty nauseous. Around 5:15 we got up to use the potty and when we got back in bed I still didn't feel any better. I got up in case it got worse. I sat out by the fireless fire pit and waited for people to wake up. I started feel a little hungry. I ate some breakfast and started to feel sick again. I really didn't want to miss out on the hike so Jesús offered to give me a blessing. It was a wonderful blessing and I started to feel better. We all got ready to go and I wasn't feeling 100% better but I wasn't going to miss the hike. Once we started hiking though I felt fine and I enjoyed the hike to Cannel Meadow. We got there and I was exhausted from no sleep the night before. I almost fell asleep sitting on a log. We had lunch and Sonnet and Trish taught the girls about using a compass and I taught them about water purification. It was a nice break. Jesús and David showed up and said they had spotted some bears in the meadow next to ours and Jesús offered to drive me back. I really wanted to finish the hike. The hike back was hard. So hard. It was in the middle of the afternoon and so hot and uphill for about 2 1/2 miles. I probably stopped every 10 minutes. I was so relieved when we got to the top and after that the downhill part was a piece of cake. The girls were amazing. I hope I was that strong when I was their age but I'm sure I wasn't. It felt like a big accomplishment when we got back to camp. Once we got back I decided to lay down and I fell asleep for a few minutes. When I woke up for dinner I was feeling sick again. I took some medicine and felt ok enough to help Trish pack up. Jesús helped get the tent packed and made some dinner in case I felt better on the way home. Then we headed out. We made it home at about 10 and it felt so good to get home to shower and sleep in my own bed. I was so disappointed that I was sick and I was probably so annoying and whiny. We did hike 3 1/4 mile soon after we got there and Ryan Bunting was pretty sure it was Altitude sickness. When we got down to Kernville I was feeling better so I hope that doesn't become a regular thing. Next time I will give my body a chance to get used to the altitude before I hike anything.

The great Kitchen Staff

Sonnet The Leader
I love a good campfire
Sonnet took the girls on a little detour to see this view. Isn't it amazing?
This is the beautiful meadow we hiked into

3 comments:

Connie de said...

Almost makes me want to go back...

Mrs. Schmalison said...

almost....

Just The Three Of Us said...

Aww...sorry you got sick! I haven't been back to Big Meadow in years!! I was asked one year, but was pregnant and then just as i got a calling in YW i was pregnant AGAIN!! lol! Way to stick it out Alison!! :)